Tuesday, October 11, 2011

funeral boots

My Pappy passed away late Monday evening (October 3rd)  in a ball of fury, and on his own time, just like everything else he did in his life. It was a blessing we had been praying for, him to be able to leave us, and not be in pain anymore. I am thankful I was fortunate enough to be there for those last sweet moments, counting his  breaths and holding his hand. I am so proud of my Grandma that night in the hospital. She was strong, and brave, and dealt far better than I would have leaving the man that had been by my side since I was 16 {they were married 62 years}. She told me yesterday she can't bear to sleep in their room because she wakes up thinking he is calling for her. I always romanticized him & my Mammie to be each others great loves and I really think they were. I like to imagine their fates were sealed together the moment they met during that square dance at the corner grill in Malaga.


My Grandpa's favorite color was red. Mammie's  is blue, but everything he ever bought her was red, and she wore it even though she thought it clashed with her fair skin. To honor him, we all wore a bit of red to the funeral home for calling hours on Thursday. Mammie insisted I wear my red cowboy boots because Pappy would've chuckled at the notion. Over this past week, I remembered why I love being from a small town. I appreciate every antidote and memory that was shared with us about Pap. His rough and tumble days of owning bars, and how he always "traveled with the Lord" {Lord Calvert}. I grew up on Mammie and Pappy's farm so I was lucky enough to have him be a constant in my everyday life. He was Colby cheese and trail bologna waiting on us after school, and he was the best part of Sundays, taking us out to breakfast after Mass. He was a spanking when I got a C on my report card, and he was the bumpiest back road, flying over the railroad tracks. He was whiskey slush on Thanksgiving, putting in hay on Saturdays, and the sports section. He was a family vacation in a RV, and he was fried bologna sandwiches. Pappy was the polka and every Ronnie Milsap song I've ever heard.


that's Mam and Pap on the far left. { Velour and denim }
they took a trip "out west" with my Grandma's brother and sister and their spouses.


Mom and Pap on her wedding day.




now I just have to figure out who is going to Polka with me when I get married.

3 comments:

Sécia Mischke said...

Such a sweet post. I'm so sorry for your loss. What amazing memories you have of him. I'm sure he's smiling down on you right now.

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

Tess Labeth said...

I'm so sorry... now dry your tears and go make him proud. It's going to take a while but I'm sure you can do it!

Side note: I just opened my own clothing store {a dream of mine}... got a card in the mail yesterday saying your granddaddy would have been so proud.

Now, I know it's hard to swallow but hop to it... there's no time like the present! Hugs to you!!

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

So sorry for your loss, Anna. This is a wonderful post, and such a good way to honor him!

Post a Comment