Monday, October 3, 2011

one of the hardest things I've ever had to do

one of the hardest things I've ever had to do is to watch my Grandpa, my Pappy, the strongest man I've ever known fade away after his stroke 9 years ago. His mind has never failed, not even now, after we've spent the last week in the hospital watching his lungs fill up with fluid, and it getting harder and harder for him to breathe. The doctors said he was going to die last Tuesday, and every day after that. But he is stubborn and still fighting his losing battle. I'm not ready to be without him but I pray that he has the strength to let go and trust that we can take care of his "Normie" (my Grandma). He still wakes up and reaches for her when she walks into his room. Hearing her say goodbye to her husband of 62 years was the saddest conversation I have ever witnessed. Watching my brothers face while he watches his best friend, his Pappy, drown in front of us is a scene I will never get out of my mind. So if you believe in it please say a prayer that my Pappy can stop struggling, that he can go home to be with the Lord, and that we are all strong enough to let him go.



My Pappy during WWII.
isn't he handsome?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This honestly made me cry... I'm praying for your Pappy and the rest of your family sweetheart! <3

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

anna, i'm so sorry to read this. i know that you don't want to lose him, but i pray that he won't suffer much longer and that you and your family can find some peace in the stories, memories, and love you all share. <3

Sécia Mischke said...

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I'm sure he knows how loved he is.

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

Alisha - the.wineglass.manifesto said...

That's so beautiful but so so sad. Grief is a journey - acknowledge the journey and take as long as you need to to deal with it.

My best friend lost her mum 6 weeks ago and she keeps feeling guilty for calling me in the middle of the night crying - I keep telling her I fully expect her to be still doing this in a years' time otherwise she's moving too fast :)

I wrote a post - sort of - about grief here http://thewineglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2011/09/cursed-earrings.html

Nat @ dear little house said...

A difficult time. I went through a similar experience with my own Grandfather. Be strong.

Tess Labeth said...

Anna... I'm so sorry! Loosing my granddaddy was the single hardest thing I've ever had to deal with... and the fact that it already hasn't been an easy year for you. I'm so sorry. I send you and your family strength and smiles through thoughts and prayers! Keep up the blogging... again, it helps and we care! ;)

Post a Comment